Saturday, December 3, 2011

The first feeling of being a Haji


After many training sessions finally we were ready for departure. Our flight was at 3:20 am. We were to go to Jeddah airport. From there to Makkah via bus. For performing Hajj, we had to perform at least one 'Omrah'. I will cover 'Omrah' in details in my later posts. This is when we had to wear the 'ihram'. Ihram is a phase where a man has to wear two pieces of white un-stitched cloth and nothing more but a belt to carry important docs, money etc. (Note: Sometimes this two piece cloth is also considered as Ihram for convenience of understanding)

During the state of Ihram I cannot brush my teeth, or comb my hair or kill a mosquito/fly etc or use perfume on my body and so on. For performing an 'Omrah' we had to be in a state of Ihram. And before Hajj we needed to perform at least one 'Omrah', which would be meant for Hajj only (Note: 'Omrah' can be performed any time, irrespective of Hajj. I hope to cover it in details in my future posts).

Before leaving for airport we decided to put on our Ihram(2 piece of cloth) and pray two rakat of namaz, which is compulsory for Omrah. Some people do that at airport also. The reason I am telling all this is because, when we reached the airport. People recognized us, as would be Haji's, by our Ihram. That is when I felt, what it is, being a Haji.


We were treated like VIPs by the government Hajj committee members. They did not let us carry our own luggage or worry about any airport formalities. They took care of everything. They wouldn't even let us even touch the luggage trolley. The gates of the airport was completely jammed by people. First I thought they have come to bid farewell to their family members. Although such people were also there, but most of them were local.

As soon we were near the gates, a whole mob of people came rushing at us. Frankly, it looked a little scary. But they came to me, hugged me, kissed my hands many times. Elder people touched my forehead and kissed and gave blessings. Few of them were even crying. Not sure what the reason was. My other family members also experienced the same.

There was kissing, blessings and handshakes by people of all ages. They all said us only one thing, "dua". They just wanted us to pray for them when the time comes. I know I am not the best person alive. I know the mistakes and wrong's that I have done through out my life. I knew I was no better than them. I was not sure whether to feel proud or lucky. But whatever that feeling was, it will stay with me for the rest of my life.

We try so hard, all our lives for getting recognized and acknowledged by others. Never knew all that respect and pride was so easy to get. Here 'proud' may not be the right word. I felt more lucky than proud. As I was entering, people were shouting their names, so that we remember them in our prayers and ask for forgiveness for them and myself. There were people who had tried their entire life to go to Hajj, but haven't succeeded. But I and many others like me did it this year. I generally don't believe in luck. But this time I had to.

2 comments: